New "Flight" Packs

Backpack Discussion

New "Flight" Packs

Postby Mocs123 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:01 pm

A thread for information on the upcoming "Flight" pack.

The picture made it look like a panel loader, is that correct? If so will their be both top loader and panel loader options?

I'm guessing weights in the 2lb 2-4oz range in X21RC?
Mocs123

Re: New "Flight" Packs

Postby ktimm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:07 pm

There are actually 4 different bag styles we have done. Our plans are

-- a Gila / Divide style more geared around UL adventures
--- a panel loader utility pack . The one in the photo was 2 lbs 14 and in an x50 fabric that is more of a travel and utility pack
--- one that bears some similarities to the Merlin and is a nice medium more for day skiing or snowshoeing

We have also done one that was a bit more rock climbing like .

If you look at our adventures group there are a couple photos from a recent bikepacking

Final weights .. depends ... in general probably 6-8 less than like styled divides etc

There are some unique features as well . I'll be shooting a video tomorrow for a couple sample packs and we will be sharing it . There is no guarantee on timelines or that samples will stay 100 percent but your feedback would be great

Thanks
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Camber » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 am

I would dig both the panel loader and the Merlin style one...I'd be ok with the roll top too, but would prefer a zipper on the side. I don't have use for this as an UL but as a daypack so easy access is cool.

X50/X42 or the dyneema (por favor!) or even just 1000d cordura, but something burly is preferred. I know people like to save weight, but for these types of investments, especially for daily use, and throwing around in travel, durability is worth the weight.
Camber

Postby kevin_t » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:38 am

Don't disagree on durability aspect especially in daily use.

Our plan was to do certain packs like a panel loader in more durable material, while packs more tailored to backpacking would maybe be mixed down a bit.

One thing we won't do though , is get stupid in chasing ounces. You won't see packs out of Sil or similar.

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I believe, this relationship with our customers, and including them in the process, helps build better products for everyone

Thanks
Kevin
kevin_t

Postby Camber » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Likewise! The ability to offer an opinion and have it heard is nice, even if it doesn't make the cut. So thanks for the opportunity.

Any chance of seeing VX42 in the mix? I know you use X42, but the white interior scrim is really nice for finding things. Just curious. Either way glad you appreciate durability too. What I pack far more influences the end weight than the bag itself it seems, and for the prices of today's packs, especially in relation to my funds, I just can't get on board with the lightweight materials. Even the gray robic Gossamer Gear uses makes me nervous although I do like their packs.
Camber

Postby kevin_t » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Note sure on materials yet, but I imagine there will be Gray X21, maybe Olive X42 or X33 MC , there may also be spectra in the mix, or even X50 or similar, or just strait up Cordura.

Some of it depends on materials and testing.
kevin_t

Postby Camber » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Please to the latter three...any one of them really :)

You're really killing me with all the Spectra pics today. I know there's no guarantee, but can you talk a little bit about how it compares to the X42 and say 500d cordura in terms of durability?
Camber

Postby kevin_t » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm

I posted a video in our seek outside adventures page.

We will know more on the fabrics after testing, but in general the woven spectra is going to be very very durable, probably comparable to 1000 D or 1600 D Cordura.

The XGrids .. will likely be like an improved Dyneema XGrid that has been used a lot. It's a nice fabric and a decent price. The Pure Woven Spectra .. may be bit much for everyones wallet .. probably add $100 per pack ... however .. considering it is barely heavier than X21 .. it may be really like getting something for free (lots of durability) .

We did have a pure woven sample that had a waterproof laminate to be forever waterproof, unfortunately the sample weave was not really tight enough for a backpack.

Kevin
kevin_t

Postby Camber » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:38 am

I saw the vid right after I posted this :). Thank you.

And thanks for the info on the Spectra. Is it from Honeywell? I know John (can't remember his last name) over at Alpine Luddites was working with some of the pure woven Spectra, and while more expensive like you're saying ($100 isn''t horrible), his was from Honeywell, and seemed to not affect price the same way pure Dyneema hit HMG and CiloGear.
Camber

Postby ktimm » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:21 am

Yes it is Honeywell

I know john , we have sort of been working the same path on this fabric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Next

Return to Backpacks

x