New "Flight" Packs

Backpack Discussion

Re: New "Flight" Packs

Postby Camber » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 am

Cool. I should have known you knew him...I don't know much about Colorado, but he is there too.

He's like you guys...very nice and helpful.
Camber

Postby Philip.AK » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Hey Kevin,

Don't forget to put the 2017 and 2018 elk hunts on the Expeditions and Videos page.

2017 Afognak Island Roosevelt elk hunt

2018 Afognak Island Roosevelt elk hunt

Looking forward to seeing the Gila-style Flight!
Philip.AK

Postby ktimm » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Will do Phillip thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby kevin_t » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Camber wrote:Cool. I should have known you knew him...I don't know much about Colorado, but he is there too.

He's like you guys...very nice and helpful.

He is. Probably best built frameless packs IMO. Used to live about 5 miles down the road.
kevin_t

Postby Camber » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:31 am

Yeah, his attention to detail seems incredible...I would love NDR pack of his, just because of the styling and workmanship.
Camber

Postby Camber » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:05 pm

Kevin,

Is it too early to give a very rough price estimate if these do make it to the site? Would like to try and start saving.
Camber

Postby ktimm » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Well part depends on fabrics ... and design style but my guess is less than the divide if using similar fabrics but not cheap ... hope that makes sense .

Honestly best guess is mid to upper twos unless we go with ultra premium fabrics ... which in the end we are pretty rational but bold ... hope that makes sense as well . So long form is say woven spectra is awesome ... but 500d Cordura is great as well but less expensive .

Honestly , we are using the next few weeks to evaluate fabrics and get feedback from samples . I think we have our preferred options but let's see what happens

My personal opinion is this . We won't sacrifice a ton of durability to chase an ounce , we also won't increase the price a ton for an ounce or two , however we aren't afraid to charge an extra few bucks if we believe it is the best product long term

Thanks

ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Mocs123 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:30 pm

I don't know much about this Spectra gridstop fabric but am interested to learn more. I assume it is along the lines in weight and durability as 210d Dyneema X Grid or X Pac X21?

I have had great experiance through the years with the 210d Dyneema Grid and have used a Seek Outside pack since 2015 made with X21RC and it has been a great pack fabric as well. Maybe not quite as abrasion resistant as the Dyneema Grid, but waterproof and durable enough at a reasonable weight. The X33 might be a really good fabric, but I refuse to do camo.

A full spectra fabric would be the ultimate pack fabric, especially if it was used as a face fabric for a X-Pac style fabric to be waterproof and have superior durability. Of course it could be cost prohibitive and the weight could be an issue. What is the weight on the full spectra?

It is my understanding that both Spectra and Dyneema are both UHMWP so they should have similar qualities.
Mocs123

Postby ktimm » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Spectra and Dyneema are similar... technically spectra is tougher based on testing I have seen . Spectra is lighter than standard fabric but not by much .

Personally I think x21rc is still the best waterproof lightweight fabric . A full woven spectra or Dyneema that is waterproof would be great for a bit more weight ... not waterproof and it's a great reinforcement fabric at minimal weight .

Xgrid or Gridstop is a nice combo of durability and price

ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Camber » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:41 am

Hi Kevin,

I get what you're saying, and it's helpful. Thank you.

And I like your attitude toward the Spectra. The design and durability to me is more important than a few ounces. Cordura and Xpac are both well proven too.
Camber

PreviousNext

Return to Backpacks

x