Packrafting and hiking the length of Kodiak Island, Alaska

Backpack Discussion

Re: Packrafting and hiking the length of Kodiak Island, Alas

Postby SWO80 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Philip.AK wrote:They are Granite Gear hipbelt pockets. I cut the rather lame stock attachment straps off and sewed some double-sided Velcro straps on the back for going through the molle webbing on the Paradox hip belt. The pockets are lightly padded and hold their shape well, and are pretty water resistant. I'm not sure I would recommend them with the stock attachment straps.

Got it, thanks. I emailed Zimmerbuilt Packs and had them make me a pair of x-pax pockets with pals on the back to attach to my hipbelt (cost about $20). Completely waterproof, and a bit smaller than the ones Seek Outside offers (I don't need something to hold binoculars in).
SWO80

Postby Marlydog1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 am

Awsome video Phillip. I packrafted the Karluk river for a week last august. What unaweep are u useing, and what mods do you reccomend for a packrafting fisherman who goes for 7 days? Thanks in advance, Dave zeeva2479@gmail.com
Marlydog1

Postby Philip.AK » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:27 pm

I took one of the original Unaweep packbags (just the plain bag, no zippers, etc) and stripped it down (removed the load shelf and moved a few compression buckles around) and then sewed on a nearly full-length stretch mesh pocket on the back and a daisy chain up each side above the bottle pocket (more of a ski tour mod). It's a bit like the Divide pack, but the stretch pocket is much taller for paddles and gear overflow. I strap the raft on the bottom via attachments I have added. I went through most of the mods in this post: Unaweep Divide Thread
Philip.AK

Postby Philip.AK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:04 pm

I recently did a week-long trip to Shuyak with a friend and I loaned her one of my Unaweep packs (with a size small hip belt, naturally) and I wore another one. [Note: it's good to have a few loaners laying around, lol.] They worked a treat, as usual. I like the new hip belt pockets, so good job, Kevin. :P

See it here: Shuyak Island Packraft and Hike, 2017 :mrgreen:
Philip.AK

Postby Philip.AK » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 pm

I just did another Shuyak trip, this time a 4-day, 50-mile counter-clockwise lap around the island. I took the mail plane in and out of Port William on the south side of Shuyak Island and used the outer coast for travel when the prevailing southwesterly winds allowed. Shuyak Island offers one of the most unique and well-suited destinations for packrafting in coastal Alaska that I have encountered. It is characterized by a myriad of bays, inlets, tidal sloughs, and lakes that make travel across the island by raft easy. And when the paddling is a bother because of wind, the cross-country hiking is nothing short of wonderful in the interior Sitka spruce forest or on the outer tundra-clad capes. The only wrinkle was that on the final morning of the trip, Island Air let the caretaker at Port William know they were coming earlier than scheduled but I was camped down the coast, oblivious. He was nice enough to cruise along the beach looking for me in his skiff, proving once again, “it’s not what you know, but who you know that counts…” lol.

See it here: Shuyak Island 2020 on Vimeo

The map of my trip:

Philip.AK

Previous

Return to Backpacks

x