Pack seam sealing products

Backpack Discussion

Pack seam sealing products

Postby Overloaded » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:20 pm

I have viewed Seek Outside's seam sealing video, but I don't like the idea of using a silicone sealant. I don't trust my application technique to force the sealant into all the sewing needle holes; I would rather have a less viscous sealant that would wick itself into any holes. I would also like a sealant that can be reapplied over itself if any leaks develop.

I read some posts here from a couple of years ago discussing the merits of Aquaseal and Seam Grip. They sound easier to apply, but they still seem to be quite viscous, and contain some nasty solvents.

Following on from Seek Outside's page on X-Pac where they say "X-Pac fabric originates from the sailcloth industry" I looked to see what the sailing community used for seam sealing, and came across a product called Dri Stitch (https://www.auroramarine.com/store/dri-stitch.html). This seems to be very low viscosity, and also claims to be non toxic and low VOC.

Has anyone tried this?
Overloaded

Re: Pack seam sealing products

Postby Philip.AK » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:11 pm

That stuff looks interesting. I have no experience with it, though I have sealed a lot of packs with Aquaseal, which is basically a permanent solution. I take the frame and accessories off the pack, stick a rolled up inflatable mattress inside the pack and blow it up until the pack is a tight sausage and all the seams are tensioned. I hang the pack from the ceiling with cord in a utility room or my shop so that I can spin it around and access all sides easily. Then I apply the thinnest bead of Aquaseal I can along the seams (on the outside of the pack) with the face of the tube neck held flat against the fabric to force the sealant into the furrow of the panel joint and stitching. If necessary, I run ny finger over when I’m done to further force the sealant in. Then I don’t touch it for at least 24 hours. I have never had to reapply it. It work so very well, though you have to be careful not to do a messy job.

BTW- Aquaseal and Seam Grip are basically the same thing, though Aquaseal is a little thicker (more viscous). I prefer it to prevent drips or runs since the cure time is so long.

Good luck.
Philip.AK

Postby Overloaded » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:56 am

I have just received my Divide (which is a great pack by the way) and Seek Outside kindly included some offcuts of the X42 material so that I could try some experiments with seam sealing.

I purchased some of the Dri Stitch seam sealer, having checked that it was compatible with synthetic materials such as nylon, polyester and PET.

It was fortunate that I had the offcuts to test it on...

Dri Stitch didn't damage any of the individual layers in the X42. What it did was to cause them to delaminate!! So where I applied Dri Stitch, I have a loose layer of crinkly PET, and then I have the nylon fabric.

I will see what the manufacturer of Dri Stitch has to say about this, but I wanted to immediately warn anyone else thinking of using it to beware!
Overloaded

Postby ktimm » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Overloaded wrote:I have just received my Divide (which is a great pack by the way) and Seek Outside kindly included some offcuts of the X42 material so that I could try some experiments with seam sealing.

I purchased some of the Dri Stitch seam sealer, having checked that it was compatible with synthetic materials such as nylon, polyester and PET.

It was fortunate that I had the offcuts to test it on...

Dri Stitch didn't damage any of the individual layers in the X42. What it did was to cause them to delaminate!! So where I applied Dri Stitch, I have a loose layer of crinkly PET, and then I have the nylon fabric.

I will see what the manufacturer of Dri Stitch has to say about this, but I wanted to immediately warn anyone else thinking of using it to beware!

Thank you for alerting everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Return to Backpacks

x