Broadwing 7000

Backpack Discussion

Broadwing 7000

Postby Ranger185 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Hey all,

First time poster and brand new to this forum. I've been reading every forum from here to Timbuktu that has anything to do with SO packs. I know for a fact I will be buying a SO pack, but I'm now down to the decision of which one.

I'm stuck on the Fortress 6300 since it's completely waterproof (read: no zipper), has the space I need, and with knowing I'll be moving to Alaska in the next year, this is probably what is drawing me to it. Knowing AK hunts can have high potential for being wet, along with possible stream crossings, I find this to be the front runner in my search.

But...

Knowing stream crossings aren't like they were in the military....meaning I needed my ruck to float me with the current...Do I need to be that worried about the stream crossings with a broadwing? And will the broadwing keep my stuff dry through a 5-10 day hunt without putting everything in drybags? How functional are the exterior pockets? I've only found a few people commenting on the broadwing...some love the side pockets for long storage, some do not.

I know a pack selection is all based on personal needs, but I guess I just don't have any information on the broadwing. Hoping someone who's put the screws to it and has some time under load with it can comment.

Thanks all!
Mike
Ranger185

Re: Broadwing 7000

Postby Philip.AK » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:20 pm

The material in the pack is waterproof. The seams, however, are not. The packs are not seam-sealed from the factory, and sealing them yourself does not necessarily result in a submersible pack. The zipper obviously does offer another point of entry for water, but not significantly more than all the other seams (unless you meticulously seal them). It comes down to how important the zipper access is for you. If you were to carefully Aquaseal all the seams and want the most waterproof pack possible, then skip the zipper. If access is a priority and you were to seal the seams but accept that you cannot swim with the pack, and are willing to pack the critical stuff (sleeping bag, clothing, etc) in light waterproof sacks, then get the zipper. I have a few Seek Outside packs without zippers that I have seam sealed myself and have used for packrafting trips including rainy stints here in Alaska, and can happily report a pretty dry pack inside. But remember, packing your bag after a night of rain inevitably means wet stuff going into your backpack. Seam sealing doesn't help this. Moving to Arizona does.
Philip.AK

Postby Ranger185 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks for the info Philip. Though I don't think moving to AZ is the option :) I don't have any issue with the zippers, I could take them or leave them, if my stuff can stay dry with some light dry bags then I'll be happy. I guess I am more wondering how well a talon integrates with the pack. I'm sure it does well when the pack is full, but if I wanted to compress to a day bag, would the talon work with the side pockets, or will the side pockets be covered by the talon? Is there any experiences, pos or neg, regarding the side pockets of the broadwing?
Ranger185

Postby ktimm » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Ranger185 wrote:Thanks for the info Philip. Though I don't think moving to AZ is the option :) I don't have any issue with the zippers, I could take them or leave them, if my stuff can stay dry with some light dry bags then I'll be happy. I guess I am more wondering how well a talon integrates with the pack. I'm sure it does well when the pack is full, but if I wanted to compress to a day bag, would the talon work with the side pockets, or will the side pockets be covered by the talon? Is there any experiences, pos or neg, regarding the side pockets of the broadwing?

Not the bottom pocket but the upper pocket maybe a bit . The broadwing was really designed with the intention of being a complete pack without the talon but still being able to use one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Ranger185 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for the info Kevin. Looks like I'll be working towards the fortress and adding a lid. Should give me what I'm looking for.
Ranger185

Postby Ranger185 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Honestly, I don't see enough comments about the Broadwing for me to make a solid, informed decision on that pack. Wish more users would chime in ort if there were a better review to discuss the finer points of the pack. I like the idea, but I don't know if it's the function I'm looking for. Based on that, I'll have to make a run at the fortress.

Thanks all for the help. Kevin, I'll hopefully be ordering for Christmas!
Ranger185

Postby gustafsj » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:45 pm

Just took a Fortress 4800 on a Boundary Waters Hunting/Fishing Trip last week. Weather was 40s, light rain and 95% humidity for most of the trip, included canoeing, portaging and backpacking. I did not seam seal it and had no problems keeping the stuff dry inside, but it was not submersed. But, the reality is that over the course of the trip, everything gets wet no matter what you do and without a fire (we had a campfire and a wood stove in tent) there is no chance of drying out. I had about 80 lbs in/on the pack for the portages and it was very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gustafsj

Return to Backpacks

x