Cobra buckles on new hip belt solution

Backpack Discussion

Cobra buckles on new hip belt solution

Postby Philip.AK » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:35 pm

I have 2 main dislikes of new hip belts that use the four 1" webbing straps.

First off, you seem to be locked into the buckle Seek Outside provides. I'm sure this is a perfectly wonderful buckle that they tested extensively with insane loads. I have never broken a hip belt buckle that I can remember. That said, for hunting loads I do really like the plastic ITW Cobra buckles (the "fixed" style where the ladder lock on the belt does the adjusting), and those worked well with the old forward pull belts that had the 1.5" webbing. But as an experiment I bought a 2" Cobra buckle (the "adjustable" style where the buckle itself locks on the webbing) and threaded the two 1" straps through both the male and female buckles side-by-side. So far so good. I wondered if the webbing would start climbing over its neighbor as you pull one or the other, but so far so good. I have not tested it with big loads under field conditions yet.

The other dislike many here are familiar with; no more forward pull on the belt which had afforded a 2:1 pull ratio. Seek is offering some solutions that allow you to redirect the 1" webbing through some clips attached to the molle webbing on the belt that reintroduces this mechanical advantage. I am using some Duraflex Slik Clips for this purpose that I have used in many other applications (albeit under less extreme force). They lock very positively and are low profile. I'll see how they hold up. The slot you feed the 1" webbing through is quite narrow so you can only have the end of the webbing sewn back on itself a single time.

Philip.AK

Re: Cobra buckles on new hip belt solution

Postby ktimm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Philip.AK wrote:I have 2 main dislikes of new hip belts that use the four 1" webbing straps.

First off, you seem to be locked into the buckle Seek Outside provides. I'm sure this is a perfectly wonderful buckle that they tested extensively with insane loads. I have never broken a hip belt buckle that I can remember. That said, for hunting loads I do really like the plastic ITW Cobra buckles (the "fixed" style where the ladder lock on the belt does the adjusting), and those worked well with the old forward pull belts that had the 1.5" webbing. But as an experiment I bought a 2" Cobra buckle (the "adjustable" style where the buckle itself locks on the webbing) and threaded the two 1" straps through both the male and female buckles side-by-side. So far so good. I wondered if the webbing would start climbing over its neighbor as you pull one or the other, but so far so good. I have not tested it with big loads under field conditions yet.

The other dislike many here are familiar with; no more forward pull on the belt which had afforded a 2:1 pull ratio. Seek is offering some solutions that allow you to redirect the 1" webbing through some clips attached to the molle webbing on the belt that reintroduces this mechanical advantage. I am using some Duraflex Slik Clips for this purpose that I have used in many other applications (albeit under less extreme force). They lock very positively and are low profile. I'll see how they hold up. The slot you feed the 1" webbing through is quite narrow so you can only have the end of the webbing sewn back on itself a single time.

Thanks for posting that we will try it out in house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Newts » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Exactly what I've been wanting to do on my Revolution, Philip. Where'd you find a 50mm slider Cobra buckle? Having little luck sourcing both halves with a slider in that size.
Newts

Postby Philip.AK » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Milspecmonkey.com has a good selection of both plastic and metal ITW/AustriAlpin buckles.

Plastic ITW Cobra

Metal AustriAlpin Cobra
Philip.AK

Postby Philip.AK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:51 pm

I have not used the Cobra buckle much so far, but the other day I used it on a little packrafting outing with a pretty light load and noticed that the straps seemed to slip in the buckle over time, such that I had to re-tighten the straps periodically. Not sure if a heavier load would lock the mechanism better, but right now I can't fully recommend the cobra buckle's ability to lock onto the 2 strands of 1" webbing of the Seek Outside belt. If I come up with more data I will report back.
Philip.AK

Return to Backpacks

x