NEW PACKS???

Backpack Discussion

NEW PACKS???

Postby Ranger185 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Just wondering if SO is coming out with any new packs in the near future....

Thought i'd ask the question :)
Ranger185

Re: NEW PACKS???

Postby ktimm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 am

Lanner 5400 ish ... it is a breakaway bag , similar to a larger Peregrine but some subtle differences in pocketing .
Should compress to a great daypack as well .

We have also been working on some smaller framed packs that have a lot of similarities to our bigger packs but are carry on sized and in the 40-50 liter range . ETA unknown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Ranger185 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Kevin,

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to seeing what you'll be bringing out!

Mike
Ranger185

Postby Rockfamily » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:06 pm

ktimm wrote:Lanner 5400 ish ... it is a breakaway bag , similar to a larger Peregrine but some subtle differences in pocketing .
Should compress to a great daypack as well .

We have also been working on some smaller framed packs that have a lot of similarities to our bigger packs but are carry on sized and in the 40-50 liter range . ETA unknown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds great! When you say "smaller framed packs", are we talking about packs that would fit smaller people like women? My wife is 5'1 and about 115 lbs and I would love to see something that fits her. I've had some in depth conversations with Joe about this subject. BTW...everyone at Seek has provided great customer service but especially Joe...just FYI. Thanks to the Seek Outside family!

Adam Rockwell

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Rockfamily

Postby blendergasket » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:23 am

I would love to see a pack that keeps the same extremely comfortable hip belt/frame interaction as your Unaweep packs (haven't tried your bigger ones). It's the only big pack I've been able to find that doesn't cause me excruciating back pain to wear. I find that unless I'm carrying a bear cannister or going deep into the shoulder season the divide is too big for me though. I was seriously considering a Gila but maybe I should wait it out. Do you feel like these acks will come in 2019 sometime?

You'll probably find an email from me in your inbox asking about this very thing since I just had to return a 38L pack I got online due to it causing back pain. I forgot about the forum.

Also, there is a typo on the page for the Gila packbag and full backpack. It appears to reference the size of the Divide under the "Gila Features" section:

Tapered main bag adapts to large loads, and rolls down to hug smaller loads. When rolled down to the top of the frame the Divide is little more than 3000 cubic inches, but at full capacity balloons to 4500.

Do you know what the specs for the Gila are? I assume 3500 at its full capacity, but what size is it when compressed down to the frame top?

Thank you in advance for your info and the amazing packs you make!
blendergasket

Postby kevin_t » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:26 am

Hi Blenderfasket

Gila at frame height is about 2400. However, take this with a grain of salt .. manufacturers differ on how they rate. Look at dimensions.

Regarding the Flights - Feedback has been tremendous so far as a smaller profile pack for moderate loads. I've used mine backcountry skiing and snowshoeing, Lacie used one Ice climbing. They carry really well within their limits.

Our biggest challenge really is we have a lot of product releases coming out. This is number 3 .. maybe number 4. There are a couple of touch ups we would like to do, and a couple things we do not control , and a couple concepts we would like to test for our own sanity (a large version option). Outside of those, really , I am confident they could be ready pretty quickly .. but we have other products coming first.

I would think it's highly likely to be in 2019 release, but it may be limited introduction if we get busy, or just one style initially.

For me, the testing I have done, they do a really good job being that tweener pack , and also the UL pack.
kevin_t

Postby Camber » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:29 pm

Can you indicate what the product release order is Kevin?

I'm thinking
Lanner
Eolus
3rd?

Thank you
Collin
Camber

Postby kevin_t » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi

Eolus - All we really need is the media and instructions. We are working on that now, but we are trying to do it with a new lighter fabric color. We do not intend to offer it in brown but probably green as well. We also are possibly a bit of slaves to the weather and opportunity. It is the number one todo on my list just getting that info together. It will be available for order as soon as that is done. Fair warming .. I am also on call for jury duty about 4 hours from our facility .. so I could be out of pocket and am trying to get as much done as possible.

Lanner - Sort of same boat, it has been sent away for photos. We are also making another one in another fabric we may offer. It needs pattern finalized .

Product variations working in and Cimarron Liner -- lots of requests for the Cimarron liner

DCF products and Flight Packs. Currently , the DCF we used is out of availability .. so we are in a wait and see ..we get calls every day. When it gets in stock .. we can start moving forward.

Flight Packs .. .Honestly waiting on a bit of feedback, a few responses to email on sourcing stuff .. some stuff like that. Basically, we want to do a couple small frame improvements beyond our capability meaning we are waiting for some quotes and samples from those that have tooling that can help us integrate it a bit smoother .. Fabrics .. honestly we did a lot of fabric testing . We really like that Spectra Xgrid and would like to integrate it on suspension stuff. That fabric has performed really well for it's price point (the full woven is excellent but price / workability will go way up ) . Our plan was to offer basically as follows .. and as project names we are calling them currently Flight One (backpacking oriented .. ) which will be in a lighter fabric set, Flight Two (clean one ) .. be more durable set like Cordura 500 .. Flight Three ..same as two .

That is the plan anyway

Thanks
Kevin
kevin_t

Postby kevin_t » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:29 pm

I should add there are more shelters than the Eolus planned as well that use the same concept. We are planning a single person / end entry and a 1.5 side entry. Those will be later, and may not have nest options

We are staying busy
kevin_t

Postby blendergasket » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks for the Gila specs and timeframe for new items.

Rewatching the video I don't think the flight pack will really work for me. IMHO The thing that makes your packs ride so miraculously is the hip belt that bolts to the bottom of the frame and the frame curving back so the belt basically floats and is pushed down verticallly instead of into the lumbar. I worry that having the hip belt connected to the pack will make it ride more like a traditional internal frame pack where the weight is transferred into the lumbar instead of directly down onto the hips. If I can find a place in the PNW that stocks them when they come out I would love to try it though.

It would be really cool if there was an option for a unaweep style pack maybe with thinner guage tubing for the frame, slightly less padded hip belts/shoulder straps and a light weight pack bag fabric to cut weight while keepoing the amazing ride.
blendergasket

Next

Return to Backpacks

x