Hammock Camping

General Discussion

Re: Hammock Camping

Postby Lockster » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:13 am

Another hammock user here, I use the Blackbird but I generally stomach sleep at home, so I have had to train myself to side-sleep in the hammock, I am a bit curious about the ridge runner now...

Some of the benefits have already been mentioned such as being able to sleep on broken ground, I've hung my hammock over creek beds, rocks, logs etc and I never care if I have to set up camp at night after a hunt, I just find two trees and string it up, string out the tarp, hook on the underquilt, done in 3-5 mins. I have awoken many times to find that a flash storm has created a mini-river running underneath me, I just roll over and go back to sleep, which is not the reaction i'd be having if I was ground sleeping.

I never need to worry about snakes (I'm in Australia where we have some of the most venomous and aggressive snakes in the world) and since = I have the bug net I never need to worry about spiders, mosquitoes, etc.

I would also second the advice regarding getting a full-length underquilt, and I'd say get a wide one also.

The final, but very real benefit is that with the side zip I can take a leak in the middle of the night without having to even get out of bed, I just flick my quilt back, unzip the side zip and roll over a bit... :D
Lockster

Postby blgoode » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:06 am

Oh yes. I love being off of the ground and not worrying about falling off my air pad and getting cold or woken up.
blgoode

Postby Voskhod02 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:34 am

I tried hammock camping only recently since the Army taught me to sleep on the ground, but I'm now biting my fingers that I spent so many nights out dealing with mud, rainwater, the cold ground and that kind of stuff while I could sleep as well as in my yard all of this time! Sure, you need to camp in a place with lots of trees or something like that, and you are still bothered by flying insects, but it's still lightyears away from sleeping on the ground.
Voskhod02

Postby blgoode » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:50 am

Yes! I agree that once I went to hammocks it changed everything for me. I go in places with so many trees it is hard to find a ground spot for a 2 person tent.
blgoode

Postby Voskhod02 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:33 am

I love that kind of places as well, it gives off a feeling like you're Indiana Jones crossing the Amazonian rainforest or something like that! Being forced to rely on trees is, however, an issue in some places. I usually carry both a tent and mat and the hammock, if I'm not sure of what I'll find... It's heavy, but it's better than being stuck without a place for said hammock, because you don't need just trees, but trees that are solid enough to hold a grown up man and with branches or something similar to tie the ropes holding said hammock.
Voskhod02

Previous

Return to The Backcountry

x