Hiking and Packrafting Across Afognak Island

General Discussion

Re: Hiking and Packrafting Across Afognak Island

Postby reaper » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:41 am

ktimm wrote:Regular neoprene socks work for me . I have some others but they got a bit close to the fire in the boundary waters so ... one sock is good :)

Best for packrafting - it depends if you want your raft inside or outside . The kodiak crew packraft a lot more than me , but I know some folks prefer 6000 CI plus and in the bag. I know when I did the escalante river packrafting trip I filled up 6000 pretty easily . Now we did have some camera gear , but other than that we were not packing a ton .

Speaking of packrafting I’m really wanting to get a couple trips ... would love to do the escalate again or do a trip in the BWCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you use the t-zip style packraft or all your gear is on you raft in you backpack?

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
reaper

Postby ktimm » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:14 pm

I don’t care for the tzip myself because you are always deflating and inflating your raft at the end of day etc

However some people love it . I like a raft as a couch and stuff similar so I like to keep it inflated

ktimm
Site Admin

Postby ktimm » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:20 pm

Also if note ... our pack frame sits almost perfectly behind me in my Alpacka fjord explorer ... so it’s like a seat ... but my belt can get wet . Also gatekeepers make securing it pretty easy .

ktimm
Site Admin

Postby reaper » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Thanks kevin
What is your favorite shelter when rafting?

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
reaper

Postby ktimm » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:55 pm

That really depends on the situation . I’ve used the DST tarp , and rafts that take a little air pressure (PR49) and simply slipped the raft over and used the paddles to pitch a high DST Zander it was great ... but it was warm and sunny

I’ve used the cimarron probably most often when weather is a concern for a few reasons . The Cimarron can take a full nest which works great in desert stuff like the Escalante , it also works well for extreme buggy environments like BWCA. On the Escalante we used the nest stand alone for 3 every evening but one when it rained .

Cimarron can also take a stove for colder trips like the north slope of Alaska (which was used )

For solo I’d maybe consider something smaller but it depends . Sometimes weight is super important and sometimes not so much ... same with shelter size and pitch space

ktimm
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Backcountry

x