Real World Testing of Water Resistant Down

All things gear related

Real World Testing of Water Resistant Down

Postby kevin_t » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:40 pm

I am not sure if anyone has seen this so I'll post it here. This test (jumping in a frozen lake) says nothing of longevity, but it looks like it works well enough to alleviate the fear of wet down.

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/we-tested-waterproof-down-by-jumping-in-a-frozen-lake-1694953456

My rather basic, slightly uninformed opinion.
- Certainly looks like it makes synthetics mostly irrelevant except price. Even if the longevity is not good, most synthetics don't have a good track record for longevity, especially lighter weight ones
- There are a lot of different treatments so not all may be the same. One of the issues is more about how the manufacturer is labeling the product (before treatment fill vs after treatment fill). FWIW , I think Allied Feather would prefer manufacturers use the before number and you can track their down.
- I don't think I would hesitate to use one of them myself and feel confident in it. In all reality, the treatment will probably outlive the garment or bags useful life.

Just my 2 cents
kevin_t

Re: Real World Testing of Water Resistant Down

Postby Lockster » Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 am

Wow, that’s a very effective (and convincing) test process, I’d always assumed that the Hydrophobic down was ok for “a bit of water” like some water getting splashed on it, I had no idea it was so effective even when fully submerged.

Thanks for sharing Kevin, I’ll have to definitely consider it as the ideal option for outdoor layering systems moving forward.
Lockster

Postby Philip.AK » Tue May 15, 2018 10:54 pm

The only ‘waterproof’ down piece I own is a MH Ghost Whisperer hoody. I had it out on a trip that turned rainy at the end and I was not impressed. The down wetted out and clumped into sodden mush in the bottom of the baffles. It was relatively new. Patagonia Nano Air hoodies are much better in wet conditions as they actually dry out as you wear them after they get soaked. Also, down puffies require very tightly-woven, minimally-breathable fabrics to contain the down, and you never dry out wearing them, or your body’s attempts at drying itself just pushes moisture into the down where it re-condenses. Down is durable and great in dry climates or for stationary warmth, but still bad in wet conditions or during any exertion. Maybe they’ll figure out a permanent treatment one day, but I’ve still never heard of any down treatment working long in real world wet situations. That video would be more convincing if it was shot on the last day of a rainy week of backpacking where the jacket had spent long hours under a hardshell. That’s why there are so many ‘active’ synthetic puffies coming out on the market these days.
Philip.AK

Postby Lockster » Fri May 18, 2018 2:56 am

Well I’d imagine that you’d see more than your fair share of wet conditions Philip, so thanks for the feedback
Lockster

Return to Gear

x