day pack hunting weight - how low can you go?

Hunting and Fishing

day pack hunting weight - how low can you go?

Postby mlammert » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:26 pm

I was bow hunting for elk this weekend in CO and every time I had to put on my pack I thought this is ridiculous! Turns out it was on the order of 25 lbs without the bow on it... at over 11K feet. Now I am new at hunting so maybe I'm over preparing... But I am hiking in in the dark and plan till stay out to last light about 8PM - so a long day requiring food/water/layers. Lanner weighs almost 5lbs with my hipbelt, belt pocket and 2" extensions for day hiking and 4" plus extra straps if a am going to carry meat out. The area I was in turned out not to have a good water source to refill from so I was carrying close to 3 liters (elk can walk to valley bottom or over ridge to plenty of water much easier than me) - 6lbs. Rain jacket, thin down sweater and softshell jacket when down to base layer plus hats and gloves add up to 3-4 lbs. Elk magnum pack of game bags is 2lbs. I've decided I dont much like disposable blades so there is a weight penalty to carry 2 fixed blades... and I had a saw because I really want to try and take out a rack of ribs if possible this year to answer for myself if they can be good :shock: . Over packed food as I am not measuring calories.... plus first aid kit, sit pad, sun lotion etc...

What does you're gone all day hunting pack weigh? Besides being more careful on food, filtering water as I go or switching to havalon ultralight knives how can I get it substantially below light weight weekend backpacking numbers?
mlammert

Re: day pack hunting weight - how low can you go?

Postby ktimm » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:22 am

You can do a real nice knife lighter like the argali carbon or benchmade . The argali game bags are also nice as are caribou bags . For water , it depends sometimes I just carry iodine tabs , sometimes I carry a MSR guardian but in the mountains now I’d lean to the iodine tabs. Clothes , I’ll carry an active insulation, light rain jacket (Sitka flash) and maybe a vest for the chill . I can make that combo work to almost November . Then I carry a little food , little cordage etc , Binoculars , which I’ll carry small liecas or mavens for archery elk , and a couple calls . If I think a bivi is possible I can have pad , quilt , shelter for about 3 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby mlammert » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:43 pm

the argali knife looks nice, but I'll stick with my home handled one even though it costs me a couple ounces. my befree squeeze filter only weighs 2 oz, but my issue was not finding water to filter without going out of my way or way lower into a canyon than I wanted, so had to carry more water vs filter more frequently. Mostly I wanted to know if 25lbs plus weapon for all day hunting was reasonable or if other folks were closer to say 15lbs... in which case I am carrying too much and need to figure what I can trim. I wish I could be small and light enough to just be using a merlin on the frame and still have enough to be out all day and completely bag up an elk if I get one, but right now I'm not that guy.
mlammert

Postby ktimm » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Here is my best guess and it varies with water etc

Day hunt 15 plus weapon

Bivy hint possible overnight 25 plus weapon water

3-5 day backpack hunt 35

Of course it all changes on optics , water availability , etc .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby mlammert » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks, I have some cutting to do, nice to know shedding 5-10 lbs could be achievable - 15 lbs vs 25 for a day hunt is a big deal if you are doing lots of hiking and elevation changes. Not certain where to start trimming first besides counting calories needed for a day and not going to far over it. Water is a wild card for sure, not always crossing streams/ponds when you need to and don't want to be hitting empty with an animal on the ground and lots of work to do. Someday I'll try the bivy/backpack hunt, but right now it seems I would end up in farther than I can reasonably assume to lap 4 times if I got an elk down - have to be able to get it all out solo.

I am loving the pack though, and I have gone through so many packs trying to feel good. Love the extra frame height and separating the belt from the pack so it can conform to you evenly is brilliant!
mlammert

Return to Hunting and Fishing

x