Redcliff UltraLight DCF images...

Redcliff UltraLight DCF images...

Postby Philip.AK » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Today I got one of the first production Redcliffs in the spruce Cuben Fiber (DCF Ct2e.08). After swapping out contrasting colored guy lines at the 4 outside corner linelocs, I set it up in the backyard. I'll post weights and such when I take it down tomorrow, but for the time being I figured a few folks out there might like to see a few detail pics from the shelter. I have quite a few other Cuben shelters from Mountain Laurel Designs and Zpacks, and have a few silnylon shelters as well, so I am very aware of what Cuben has to offer... and I have to say, Seek Outside did a very nice job on this- their first Cuben shelter. Good job, Kevin and crew!

Front-quarter:

Back-quarter:

Nice clean stitching throughout and I'm SO HAPPY that SeekOutside decided to offer lineloc adjustability to every guy-out point:

I like contrasting-colored guy lines at the 4 main corners (orange = stake first, then center pole) for braindead ease of setup:

Stove jack from the outside, and the excellent peak vent hood:

Stove jack inside:

Looking up to the shelter peak with the very nice, supplied carbon center pole:

The bug netting over the peak vent restricts air flow significantly, but commensurately keeps heat in and stops some wind-driven rain, plus will slow a few bugs down (until they find the gaps in the sod skirt...):

It dwarfs my size small TiGoat WiFi stove (incidentally, SO lists this as a 6-person w/o stove and 3-person w/ stove, but... we easily got 4 regular-sized guys with all their backcountry elk hunting crap into a Redcliff last fall with a roaring stove for a few nights, so I would easily call this a 4-person with stove...) :

The smoke stack:

Philip.AK

Re: Redcliff UltraLight DCF images...

Postby Camber » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 am

That does look fantastic.
Camber

Postby reaper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:13 am

Woha niiice!

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
reaper

Postby Philip.AK » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Okay, I got some weights:

Shelter weight: 1,150 g / 40.5 oz / 2.5 lb (this is the tent with stove jack and installed guy lines, plus stuff sack)
Carbon pole weight: 350 g / 12.3 oz /0.8 lb
Included MSR Groundhog stakes: 150 g / 5.3 oz / 0.3 lb

I was using 10" Easton Nano stakes, and 14 of those (all guy points plus 2 mid-panel guy-outs) were 250 g / 8.8 oz / 0.6 lb
Philip.AK

Postby AK Troutbum » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:58 pm

That is one super sweet looking setup there Phillip! I wonder if a second peak vent, opposite the one, could be added to create a cross draft for some better ventilation? Obviously it would be at the expense of heat loss, but when running the stove, condensation probably wouldn’t be much of an issue and if the vents could be sealed shut or totally opened up, it seems like it would be a win win. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AK Troutbum

Postby Philip.AK » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:20 pm

I personally like having a single peak vent so that you can orient the shelter such that the vent is downwind in a big blow. Otherwise you just invite wind-driven rain to come in. Most 'cross' ventilation happens because of heat convection where cold air is drawn in along the bottom perimeter of the shelter and warms and moves out the peak vent. Unless it was pretty windy I don't think a second peak vent would do much. And if you do decide you want more air movement (and it's not raining) you can just use the upper zipper pull to open the top of the door and hold it open with a stick or something.

When using these as hot tents the temperature gradient inside is pretty extreme. It will be ambient temp down at ground level and like 100 F or more up in the peak. The upper walls will be bone dry and warm while condensation is forming on the walls near the ground. All the air circulation is vertical due to heating and convection. What you really need is a powerful ceiling fan.
Philip.AK

Postby Philip.AK » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Just some pics from this weekend's training with Kodiak Island Search and Rescue and the USCG Air Station Kodiak. KISAR has a little training hut up in the mountains and 3 of us flew in Friday morning to check the conditions and set up a training scenario. I brought the Redcliff and spent an incredibly pleasant night in it, burning some leftover cedar paneling from when we built the hut. The conditions were not exactly challenging since it was calm and not that cold overnight, but Patrick and I will be taking his Redcliff DCF on a 9-day kayak survey to the south end of Kodiak soon.

Philip.AK

Postby ktimm » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:52 pm

Well ... WOW !!! Well done.
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby reaper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 pm

[THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN] awesome pictures !!!

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
reaper

Postby Philip.AK » Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am

Patrick and I recently did an inflatable-kayak-based archaeological survey to the south end of Kodiak for 8 days and used the Redcliff. You can see camp pics in this particular post: Our Camp and you can see more of our trip in general if you scroll down to see more posts here: A Smaller Pack.
Philip.AK

Return to Tents

x