FST Eolus shelter questions

Re: FST Eolus shelter questions

Postby Camber » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Oh, that is much taller than it looks. Thank you Kevin.

Makes me really want one :).
Camber

Postby ktimm » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Camber wrote:Oh, that is much taller than it looks. Thank you Kevin.

New color sneak .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby ktimm » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Camber wrote:Oh, that is much taller than it looks. Thank you Kevin.

New color sneak .

ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Camber » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:38 am

Yeah, I saw it a little in the video your wife (I'm assuming that's who Angie Timm is) posted on Instagram.

It's a big win in my book. Great color.
Camber

Postby BeanMan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:08 pm

I stopped by and looked at the Eolus today. I think I will be buying at least the FST. One observation: It appears the FST could need slightly larger dimensions to cover the non waterproof portions of the nest. It looks like maybe the pitch could be changed to negate this concern.
BeanMan

Postby ktimm » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 pm

BeanMan wrote:I stopped by and looked at the Eolus today. I think I will be buying at least the FST. One observation: It appears the FST could need slightly larger dimensions to cover the non waterproof portions of the nest. It looks like maybe the pitch could be changed to negate this concern.

That's great , not sure I understand your concern but would love to discuss . There is a pretty good air gap and it is usually either breathable fabric exposed or waterproof . DWR breathable will work fine in a vertical orientation of exposure . There is actually a fair amount of complements between the nest and canopy . Yes , the canopy vestibules are 8 inches taller than the sides but the nest covers that ... and a bit of woodsmanship it's pretty easy to get the 8 inches covered or blocked ... plus wind speeds pick up a lot above a couple feet . For reference ... we used in the photos pretty much the standard canopy heights for tents which is usually 4-6 inches above and then relying on the inner to do the rest . We used 4 inches .

So I'd love to discuss the design stuff in person . I realize it's unconventional for sure . There were a couple compromises based on the limitations of geometry . However , I feel in the vast majority of uses the compromises work well and mostly do things like reduce condensation. The nest does complement it to make it complete but there are other workable and lighter options available . Any tall grass , really makes the matter almost a non issue.

Thanks Kevin

ktimm
Site Admin

Postby reaper » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:37 pm

The shelter can be pitch tight to the ground or it is not designed for it?
Any stove jack pictures?

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
reaper

Postby ktimm » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:04 pm

The vestibule portion is always 4-5 inches above but it can be pitched tight . Think of it as if you kept your zipper open a little or pitched the shelter up to reduce condensation .

The purpose of the eolus is more 3 season and condensation reduction . When used with the nest the ventilation reduces condensation .

When used without the nest it can pitch up or down a bit . Without the nest , it is better to think of it as a tarp that provides full shelter from all sides but doesn't requires a zipper the FST "full shelter tarp"

With a stove ... I am sure it will work fine but you will loose one entrance for the stove . It will be a tad more drafty then a sod skirt shelter but not a big deal . The eolus provides impressive size and durability of materials for the weight .

Thanks

ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Camber » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Is this going to be available in DCF?

If so, is it safe to assume at least double the price?
Camber

Postby ktimm » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Camber wrote:Is this going to be available in DCF?

If so, is it safe to assume at least double the price?

Yes and likely 425 ish ... maybe 450 ish

ktimm
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tents

x