Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby Fedster » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:14 am

I keep looking at the specs and they seem pretty close. Really close. Would it make sense to have a line saying 'for X,Y,Z use prefer the tipi, for W,Z use prefer the Redcliff'? Unless I am missing the obvious to me it is a choice between pyramid vs conical shape, all else being basically equal. Both tents are pretty cool, but I look at them and think: why am I given the choice?
Fedster
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:29 am

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby DaveChenault » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:34 am

Redcliff has more useable interior room (esp when it comes to sleeping >2 people) and is a lot more intuitive to pitch. 4 person has a slight edge when it comes to weather resistance due to additional tieouts and totally symmetrical shape.
DaveChenault
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby reaper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:32 pm

How many peoples you expect?

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk
reaper
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:55 am

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby reaper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Where you live,do you have a lot of wind,mountain with trees or more flat fields???

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk
reaper
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:55 am

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby Akicita » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Fedster wrote: Unless I am missing the obvious to me it is a choice between pyramid vs conical shape, all else being basically equal.


Yep. . . That's what it pretty much boils down to. What I found to be the biggest difference is the flexibility of sleeping and gear layouts in the Red Cliff because of the hybrid footprint. The conical shape will shed snow a little better as well as wind however I have 97 nights in my Red Cliff so far this year and it has survived everything the Colorado high country can throw at it so far. I recently set it up as a base camp for a technical North face summit attempt Wetterhorne where we got hammered by high winds that collapsed some proven 4 season mountaineering tents but the Red Cliff came through with only one broken guy line.

For me the nod goes to the Red Cliff for the footprint and slight vertical wall height given by the guy outs. Makes a great solo hot tent as well as a comfortable shelter for up to 4 persons.
[img][IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1/Parks140/20161024_080242_zpsxvgdkqgh.jpg[/img][/img]
Akicita
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby swisski » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:13 pm

I'm assuming you mean cimarron vs 4 man, because the redcliff is significantly bigger than the 4 man...
swisski
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby kevin_t » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:13 pm

Akicita wrote:
Fedster wrote: Unless I am missing the obvious to me it is a choice between pyramid vs conical shape, all else being basically equal.


Yep. . . That's what it pretty much boils down to. What I found to be the biggest difference is the flexibility of sleeping and gear layouts in the Red Cliff because of the hybrid footprint. The conical shape will shed snow a little better as well as wind however I have 97 nights in my Red Cliff so far this year and it has survived everything the Colorado high country can throw at it so far. I recently set it up as a base camp for a technical North face summit attempt Wetterhorne where we got hammered by high winds that collapsed some proven 4 season mountaineering tents but the Red Cliff came through with only one broken guy line.

For me the nod goes to the Red Cliff for the footprint and slight vertical wall height given by the guy outs. Makes a great solo hot tent as well as a comfortable shelter for up to 4 persons.
[img][IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1/Parks140/20161024_080242_zpsxvgdkqgh.jpg[/img][/img]


Wetterhorn in the San Juans ? How long ago ? Great peak and one my favorites. Love the forks that surround it (Middle , East , West) with my personal fave being east. Photos ? Details ? Sounds interesting, especially a late season attempt on Wetterhorn.
kevin_t
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby Akicita » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:21 am

kevin_t wrote:
Akicita wrote:
Fedster wrote: Unless I am missing the obvious to me it is a choice between pyramid vs conical shape, all else being basically equal.


Yep. . . That's what it pretty much boils down to. What I found to be the biggest difference is the flexibility of sleeping and gear layouts in the Red Cliff because of the hybrid footprint. The conical shape will shed snow a little better as well as wind however I have 97 nights in my Red Cliff so far this year and it has survived everything the Colorado high country can throw at it so far. I recently set it up as a base camp for a technical North face summit attempt Wetterhorne where we got hammered by high winds that collapsed some proven 4 season mountaineering tents but the Red Cliff came through with only one broken guy line.

For me the nod goes to the Red Cliff for the footprint and slight vertical wall height given by the guy outs. Makes a great solo hot tent as well as a comfortable shelter for up to 4 persons.
[img][IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1/Parks140/20161024_080242_zpsxvgdkqgh.jpg[/img][/img]


Wetterhorn in the San Juans ? How long ago ? Great peak and one my favorites. Love the forks that surround it (Middle , East , West) with my personal fave being east. Photos ? Details ? Sounds interesting, especially a late season attempt on Wetterhorn.


Hello Kevin,

Yep – San Juan Wetterhorn in early November. I would love to do the Swiss Wetterhorn and Matterhorn someday.

A friend of mine asked me if I would help him summit Wetterhorn so he could cross it off his 14’er list during a conversation we were having about me hiking in to Matterhorn where my sisters ashes are spread. I told him I would but it would have to be in Late October or November because of hunting commitments. After resting up a bit from some high country hunts I packed up 4 days food for the both of us, my alpine gear, the Redcliff and SXL stove in my Unaweep 6300 and told him to be ready. He had already rounded up a group 14’er friends of his and we all met at the trail head and hiked in to set up base camp near Matterhorn creek at about 11,700ft. My original plan was to summit Wetterhorn early morning on the Class 3 route and ridge over to Matterhorn and back down to base on the Matterhorn Creek trail but weather changed that. I packed my alpine rack in my Mammut Trion and we headed up before day break in order to give us time to make the loop. We made good time to the ramp below the prow on the approach and I sent the majority of the group up the steps while I and one other experienced member from his group took a technical route up the wall. We all met near the top of the wall and scrambled the rest of the way up to the summit. We could see the weather coming in so I recommended we not do the loop and scramble back down to base. I set and anchor and we roped down most of the upper pitches in order to expedite our descent. Once in base weather came in with sustained winds of 30 and gust up to what I think were close to 40 or 50. The Redcliff held up great with only a broken guy line at the stake sometime in the night. A North Face 4 season in the group broke a pole and collapsed and an MSR 4 season tent blew out a seam between the tub and the tent. That meant I ended up with a total of 4 interlopers in the Redcliff throughout the night of equipment failure. My new cold but grateful guest graciously offered to cover stove duties throughout the night while I slept and although I typically don’t run the stove all night I accepted. The next morning we woke to about 6 inches of snow with it still coming down sideways and drifting. The majority of the group with the exception of my friend decided to head down to the trail head and and after checking weather on my Delorme we decided to stay another night. The next morning we hiked to the base of Matterhorn in drifting snow so I could pay my respects. After returning to base we heated up a thermos of coffee, packed camp and hiked out to the trailhead.

I took a few pictures with my ol’ Minolta 35mm and my friend took about a thousand on his phone. I will try and get some from him to post.

I don’t get to that area as much as I would like to these days but I’m always open to an invitation if you ever want to top some of the hills in your backyard. . . I think a picture of my Redcliff on the spine just below Redcliff Peak would be and appropriate venture! We could even get a picture of Courthouse Peak from Redcliff to go on the site with your new shelter :D
Akicita
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby kevin_t » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Be glad to go out sometime just send me an email or pm. Thanks for sharing the story. Was it a group from 14ers.com ? Big heated shelters don't seem to be their MO. I've had a few friends there over time ..done a few peaks been to a couple gatherings and had a good time.
kevin_t
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Redcliff vs 4 Men tipi

Postby Southern Lights » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:01 am

Hello,

I am debating the 4 man tipi vs. the Redcliff. I understand the Redcliff is larger and slightly heavier. But I was wondering for a solo hunter or with perhaps one other person does the 4 man offer any advantages? Is it mainly the 10ozs or so lighter? I am not interested in smaller options as I want standing room. I am planning on using either the tipi or Redcliff in conditions ranging from dry to extremely wet temperate rainforest. There may also be some times with exposure above treeline, although I always try to pitch tents with some kind of natural wind protection if available.

I am also suspecting that due to the wet conditions that a liner is a must. Even if I can run a wood stove, I'm just concerned that condensation will overwhelm the tent without a liner present. How does the Redcliff liner work vs. the tipi liner in terms of effectiveness and space usage?

I am planning on running the SXL stove. I figured for the 8ozs. of the large stove I get a much bigger door and firebox. Seems like a good trade if it works in either tent.

Why I might want to pick the tipi over the pyramid or vice versa? I am leaning tipi simply because it reportedly has a better foul weather handling capability. But I really don't have any experience with tipis or pyramids to know how true this is or is not.

Any input is appreciated.
Southern Lights
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:42 am


Return to Tents

x