Baffles

Lightweight Packable wood stoves

Baffles

Postby Andy BB » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:26 pm

I've seen several stoves incorporate a baffle, which seems to improve burn efficiency and radiation by bringing the heat back towards the front of the stove before rerouting it up and out towards the back and up the stovepipe. Wonder if a similar mod is on the planning board at SO!
Andy BB

Re: Baffles

Postby kevin_t » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:06 am

We have done a lot of experiments with different features, baffled being one , and I know a couple customers have added them . Our view is that a baffle looses to much space in the fire box on smaller stoves and is really only functional on an XL or larger stove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kevin_t

Postby akfonks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Anyone add a baffle to a XXL stove? If so is it worth it? Does it make the stove burn any longer?
akfonks

Postby reaper » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:45 am

Andy BB wrote:I've seen several stoves incorporate a baffle, which seems to improve burn efficiency and radiation by bringing the heat back towards the front of the stove before rerouting it up and out towards the back and up the stovepipe. Wonder if a similar mod is on the planning board at SO!

I did a baffle and put it on test 3 times and it will always come with me now.My main reason was to get rid of the sparks wich is it exactly what my baffle do... no sparks at all,more heat time.Of course it reduced the inside box stove but i can deal with that.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk
reaper

Postby kevin_t » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Baffles reduce size of burn chamber in smaller stoves . Bigger stoves they work. They do reduce sparks but so does the ultra spark arrestor and dampers increase burn effieicency . On a big stove like an XXL they would be pretty easy to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kevin_t

Postby Akicita » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:47 am

They do reduce sparks but so does the ultra spark arrestor and dampers increase burn effieicency .

I concur Kevin. . . I recently removed the arrestor screen from my SXL damper and put the Ultra below it. I have increased burn times by at least 30 minutes before a re-stoke. I also have a 4 Dog stove with a very efficient baffle plate in it that works very well but I honestly think the design of your titanium stoves are perfect for the intended use. I certainly cannot pack my 4 Dog stove as easily as my SXL.

As for sparks - it is an inherent risk of using a wood stove in a tent. Burn dry hardwood and never damper down and the risk will be minimal. Damper down thus extending burn times while building creosote in the pipe or burn soft or moist fuel and risk of sparks goes up. I personally have plenty of fuel, burn hot, re-stoke often and have little problems with sparks. I also run a longer pipe to give sparks extra time to extinguish before exiting and carry a tube of silicone and Tenacious Tape for when the occasional ember adds ventilation.

[[url]img][url=http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Parks140/media/Sunset_zpsaic2bapc.jpg.html]Image[/url][/img][/url]
Akicita

Return to Wood Stoves

x