Dripping liner loops in tipi

Dripping liner loops in tipi

Postby Tau_vector » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:04 am

I am in my tent right now getting dripped on. I did seam seal, but I obviously need to touch it up. How should I seam seal around the liner loops? Does it need to be done from the outside of the tent?

Thanks
Earl
Tau_vector

Re: Dripping liner loops in tipi

Postby Philip.AK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:13 pm

The loops sewn into the felled seams penetrate the tent's shell and can wick water into the tent. Your best bet is to impregnate the loop cordage with silicone so that it stops acting as a water wick/conduit. Straight up silicone sealant (like Silnet) is too viscous to get drawn into the fabric of the cord itself, but if you dilute it with mineral spirits (1:1 or even thinner) you can work it into the cord with the help of a small foam brush and seal that sucker up. The mineral spirits don't hurt the silnylon fabric and help draw the silicone into the fabric before evaporating.

Tarptent has a video that shows how they recommend sealing their tents with standard GE Silicone II caulking available at hardware stores and odorless mineral spirits. You won't need much but with the extra you can do touch-ups on other seams.

Philip.AK

Re: Dripping liner loops in tipi

Postby Tau_vector » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I will give that a shot.
Tau_vector

Return to Tents

x