The deer thread

Hunting and Fishing

Re: The deer thread

Postby OldJake » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Sreekers,
I have an identical twin to that buck in the top picture!
OldJake

Postby Grant » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:50 pm

My daughter's 2013 blacktail

My 2013 muley
Grant

Postby Philip.AK » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Well, it's after August 1 here in Alaska, so deer season is on. We like to get ours as early as possible so as to be well before the rut. Our local deer are Sitka Blacktails, which are pretty tiny. Makes packing them out pleasant. :)

I headed up into the mountains with Brooks and Lindsey early on opening day and they grabbed two young forks.

Since they live off-island, the plan was to get them as many deer as possible since I live here and can hunt anytime. You are only allowed one deer on the Kodiak road system, so the plan was to hike off the road (about 8 miles in) to do an overnighter and get them some more, but then we ran into this dude and couldn't pass him up, so I punched my road tag.

While I love the Paradox frame and harness system, I'm sort of partial to Kuiu bags, so here is my Kuiudox:

We finally did do the overnighter off the road system a few days later and spent some time hiking through the lovely Kodiak alpine before running into some animals that looked appealing.

We found a little hanging valley filled with deer and picked out a buck.

Brooks gets ready for the shot:

He took the one on the right:

Despite it being a 20-mile round trip, with 10 of those being packing the animal out, it was actually a very pleasant hike.

You can probably tell we're not into camo. ;)
Philip.AK

The deer thread

Postby bhoran » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:06 am

Deleted content
bhoran

Postby Philip.AK » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Most of my 2018 deer season is in the bag, and it was basically spent getting Sitka blacktails for Brooks and Lindsey. :^)

We got up (too) early on opening day and popped up to our favorite spot. It took longer than normal to find a sufficiently oblivious buck to get within range. We saw about 50 deer in the hours we wandered around in the alpine hunting, and a good half dozen of those were perfectly acceptable bucks, but they were unusually wary and wouldn't let us get very close. But in the end both B and L were able to punch their 'road system' tags.

Arriving in the alpine to low clouds:

Two critters down within spitting distance of each other:

(Yes, I'm still using a Kuiu bag on my Seek Outside pack, lol)...

We went home and processed those, and a day later hiked off the Kodiak road system to get Lindsey a 2nd deer. Since you have to hike a pretty fair distance to get into an area where you can punch more tags, we did it as an overnighter.

That evening after setting up camp we glassed the other side of the ridge and got a feel for what was afoot (err... ahoof):

The next morning Lindsey got another nice animal with alacrity:

...And then we hiked home.

We saw 3 Kodiak brownies during our little trip.

Philip.AK

Postby ktimm » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 am

Philip.AK wrote:Most of my 2018 deer season is in the bag, and it was basically spent getting Sitka blacktails for Brooks and Lindsey. :^)

We got up (too) early on opening day and popped up to our favorite spot. It took longer than normal to find a sufficiently oblivious buck to get within range. We saw about 50 deer in the hours we wandered around in the alpine hunting, and a good half dozen of those were perfectly acceptable bucks, but they were unusually wary and wouldn't let us get very close. But in the end both B and L were able to punch their 'road system' tags.

Arriving in the alpine to low clouds:

Two critters down within spitting distance of each other:

(Yes, I'm still using a Kuiu bag on my Seek Outside pack, lol)...

We went home and processed those, and a day later hiked off the Kodiak road system to get Lindsey a 2nd deer. Since you have to hike a pretty fair distance to get into an area where you can punch more tags, we did it as an overnighter.

That evening after setting up camp we glassed the other side of the ridge and got a feel for what was afoot (err... ahoof):

The next morning Lindsey got another nice animal with alacrity:

...And then we hiked home.

We saw 3 Kodiak brownies during our little trip.

Awesome. You are really making me want to go to Kodiak for a bit. In fact , I was searching prices a few days ago. That last leg from Anchorage adds a lot of cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Philip.AK » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:33 pm

The Kodiak 2019 deer season opened yesterday and Brooks popped into town to try his luck. We climbed into the alpine in the morning and immediately ran into piles of deer. Mostly does and fawns with a good mix of small bucks thrown in, but nothing of note.

As we climbed higher we started running into some better looking bucks but they were wary of us and it took a bit of hiking before we found one that was oblivious enough to get close. No matter, because the area is beautiful and we enjoyed watching all the critters including a brown bear that was playing with an alder root wad like a dog with a chew toy, throwing it up in the air and chasing it with unbridled joy.

Eventually we maneuvered ourselves onto a promontory above this guy:

He was just in the process of starting to shed his velvet:

On the way out, we considered grabbing another one but given the distance we had hiked in we were secretly glad we didn't bump into anything convenient.

Philip.AK

Postby Philip.AK » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:37 pm

We did a remote overnighter to get another deer. Loading up the redneck parking shuttle:

It was a pretty long hike in but beautiful country:

We set up camp in the evening, planning to hunt the next morning:

The deer weren't quite where we were expecting, but eventually after a bit of hiking around we figured out where they were.

The rest went about their day:

Philip.AK

Postby ktimm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 am

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Hunting and Fishing

x